As a dad we are almost expected to be the gear/tech people in the family. It got me thinking what I would consider some essential daddy gear.
1. Dad Bag – whether you get just a regular style messenger bag or a bag made by Diaper Dude or DadGear get something that will keep you looking good. I’ve got a messenger bag from Diaper Dude and I absolutely love it. With my wife’s and my schedule, we essentially do need to diaper bags so in this case it works out awesome. I’ve heard many dad’s getting other styles of messenger bags from other makers (not making bags just for dads) and they have said that they work out awesome.
2. Digital Camera – I’ve been into photography for a while so a couple years ago Liz ended up getting me a nice Canon DSLR camera and I love it. You need a nice camera to capture all of those “first” moments. Today many DSLR companies are making them with the capabilities to shoot video, so if you end up getting one of these you won’t need the next item.
3. Video Camera – being in the photography business this was some what of a geek toy for me. Something for me to occupy my time and search out the specs while I was waiting for the phone call to go pick up my wife and take her to the hospital. I can’t count how many times I’ve video taped the chipmunk rolling over, talking to himself, or laughing. You’ll want to remember some of these moments.
4. Nook/Kindle – This has become an essential way for me to relax after a long day. I can escape to a good book, go to bed happy (well most nights anyway HAHA), and wake up the next day like nothing happened and get on with my life the next day. It is also nice to be able to just pick this up and read it at the doctors office because inevitably you will have to be in a waiting room with your little one at some point in time.
5. iPhone/iPod – whether you have one of these or both they are great to have around because sometimes you will forget your camera’s but you’ll still be able to capture any moment with your kid… plus if all your looking for is to consolidate all your electronics you could use this as your still camera, video camera, and your nook/kindle and that way you only have to carry around one item. But that wouldn’t make you a geek, because essentially that’s what all of us dad’s are right?
I will be updating this list as time goes on.